This checklist is intended to give the HostBridge installer a broad overview of the types of skills and resources that are needed to successfully install HostBridge V6.xx on a mainframe running the zOS operating system.
For further information on what is required to install the HostBridge IDE, click here.
HostBridge installations may require one or more people to complete, depending on the breakdown of responsibilities within your organization. The resources required may include:
- zOS systems programmer (if HB for zIIP is being installed)
- CICS systems programmer
- Mainframe security administrator
- DB2 administrator (if the HB2 DB2 facility is being installed)
- Network administrator (just to provide valid IP addresses and port numbers)
In most cases, the CICS systems programmer can perform the installation alone.
Before starting to install HostBridge, you should:
- Confirm that you have met the minimum system requirements to install HostBridge (defined here).
Confirm that you have received a HostBridge license key. If you have not, contact HostBridge Sales.
If you use IBM's HourGlass product, please be sure to inform HostBridge Sales.
- Ensure that you have either an XMT format file or TERSED format file containing HostBridge.
- Ensure that you can FTP those files to your zOS in BINARY format.
Ensure that you have the authority to perform assemblies and link edits (HEWL or IEWL) on your system.
This is only required if you are going to change any of the supplied HostBridge configuration and exit programs, and should be done under the control of HostBridge Support.
- Ensure that you have the authority to create and load VSAM files.
- Ensure that you have the authority to create and load PDS and PDSE datasets.
- Ensure that you can create CICS RDO definitions for files and programs, modify and assemble a CICS PLT, and modify a CICS SIT.
Ensure that you can modify PROCs, place them in valid PROCLIBs, and initiate a started task.
This is only required for a HB for zIIP installation.
Determine which TCP/IP IP address and port numbers that you are going to use to communicate with CICS (via HostBridge) from the web. You may need to get this information from your network administrator.
The port numbers will also be required for the CICS TCPIPSERVICE definitions used by HostBridge and will eventually be needed when you install the HostBridge IDE.
Be sure that you can APF authorize a load library (or determine who can and ensure that that person is available).
This is required if you are running HostBridge under the zIIP, and is not required if you are running base HostBridge only.
- Be sure that you give your security administrator the HLQ of your HostBridge files so that he/she can permit the CICS regions that have HostBridge installed in them to access those files.
- Set aside approximately 250 cylinders of disk space for HostBridge programs, files, and source members.
- Obtain access to the zOS operator console so that you can issue the SET APF command (and others) if necessary.
Ensure that the DB2 bind/grant procedures for HostBridge can be executed.
This is required only if you have purchased the HostBridge for DB2 feature.
- Execute the installation procedure as shown in the online HostBridge documentation (which can be found here).